As a result of a bet between Queen Marie-Antoinette and her brother-in-law the Count of Artois, who had acquired the estate in 1775, this folly miraculously rose from the ground in sixty-four days!
The Bagatelle gardens were designed by Belanger and produced by Thomas Blaikie, in an Anglo-Chinese style, that was typical of that time. The art of the garden was undergoing profound changes. The park and the chateau underwent multiple metamorphoses, passing through the hands of famous owners: Napoleon, the Duke of Berry, the Marquess of Hertford, and Sir Richard Wallace. The orangery, the main gate and the stables were designed under the Second Empire. The architect Léon de Sanges carried out major works on the chateau, which was raised one level higher. The guards' pavilions were built in 1873 by the same architect, as well as the Trianon and the two terraces.
This jewel was bought by the City of Paris in 1905, which entrusted its rehabilitation to the curator of the gardens of Paris, Jean-Claude-Nicolas Forestier ... we owe him the famous rose garden of Bagatelle!
Founded in 2019, on the initiative of personalities gathering around the Mansart Foundation to find a solution to the condition of this exceptional site, the Chateau de Bagatelle Foundation works with passion and enthusiasm for the restoration, embellishment and international reputation of the chateau de Bagatelle.
In partnership with